One of the most convenient features of ActivePresenter is the ability to customize the Tabbed Toolbar. This article shows tips on tailoring the Tabbed Toolbar to satisfy your unique needs and tastes.
Where to Customize the Tabbed Toolbar?
To customize the Tabbed Toolbar, access the Preferences dialog by doing either of the following:
- From the Start Page, click the gear button at the bottom of the left pane.
- In the editor, click ActivePresenter > Preferences .
In the dialog, open the Tabbed Toolbar tab where you can personalize the toolbar for your interest.
- Choose Commands From: Contain all commands which are organized in groups.
- Customized Toolbar: Show the structure of the current toolbar of ActivePresenter.
- Expand/Collapse: Click the Plus button to expand any node to list the items that it contains, and click the Minus button to collapse a node.
- Check Box: Uncheck to hide the relevant tab/group from view.
- Add and Remove: Add tabs/groups/commands to the Tabbed Toolbar or remove them from view.
- Move Up and Move Down: Change the order of the tabs/groups/commands.
- Hide Command Labels: Hide command names in custom groups.
- New Tab/Group…: Create custom tabs/groups.
- Rename…: Rename tabs/groups/commands.
- Restore Defaults: Go back to the original settings.
In a word, you can:
- Reorder tabs/groups/commands to suit your work style.
- Remove tabs/groups you rarely use and add them back after that.
- Create custom tabs/groups as you prefer.
- Rename tabs/groups/commands as you wish.
Note: You cannot reorder the default commands, hide their names, or rename them.
You can change the order of all tabs/groups/commands but not the default commands. To do that, in the right box, select the tab/group/command that you want to move. Then, click Move Up or Move Down until you get the order you want. Don’t forget to click OK to save and see your changes.
In the right box, select the group (both default and custom) or tab/command (custom only) that you want to remove from your Tabbed Toolbar. Then, click the Remove button to exclude them from view.
To remove the default tabs or groups/commands like the Home or Slide tab, uncheck the relevant check box in the right box. Note that you cannot hide contextual tabs such as Format and Drawing.
Adding Tabs/Groups Back to Your Toolbar
After removing a tab/group grom view, you can still add it back to the Tabbed Toolbar by:
Step 1: In the left box, select the tab that you want to bring back. In case you want to recover a group, you must select a tab in the right box to place it.
Step 2: Click the Add button to retrieve the selected tab/group. After that, change the tab/group order if needed.
Step 3: Click OK to save and see your changes.
Creating Custom Tabs/Groups
ActivePresenter lets you add new tabs to the Tabbed Toolbar. Add new groups to both default and custom tabs. Regarding commands, it only allows you to add commands to custom groups.
The custom tabs and groups have the word (Custom) after their names, but the word (Custom) doesn’t appear in the Tabbed Toolbar.
To create custom tabs/groups, perform the following (ignore any unnecessary steps if any):
Step 1: In the right box, select the tab to which you want to add a new group. In case you want to create a tab, the new tab will be inserted below all other tabs or the selected one.
Step 2: Click New Tab… or New Group… to create a new tab or group, respectively.
Step 3: In the dialog, enter a name for the new tab/group and click OK.
Step 4: For custom groups, select the Hide Command Labels check box to hide the labels while showing the icons in smaller size. That way, the command will look like this:
Step 5: In the main dialog, click OK to save and see your changes.
After creating a custom group, you need to add commands to them. Use the Add button to add commands from the left box.
Tip: You can do nothing with the commands in the default groups as they appear disabled. However, it’s all possible to make a custom group to replace the default one so that you can make changes to those commands included in it. To do that, create a custom group that resembles the default one and remove/hide the default group. Now, reorder commands, rename, or hide command labels as you wish.
To rename tabs/groups/commands, do the following:
Step 1: In the right box, select the tab/group/command that you want to rename. Note that only commands added to custom groups can be renamed.
Step 2: Click the Rename… button. In the dialog, enter a new name for the tab/group/command and click OK.
Step 3: In the main dialog, click OK to save and see your changes.
That’s it! Customize the Tabbed Toolbar to improve your editing performance. Create great things with ActivePresenter today.