A Rating Scale (Likert) question is the most commonly used question type in surveys. Let’s learn how to create this eLearning question in the below tutorial.
Overview of Rating Scale (Likert) Questions
Basically, a Rating Scale (Likert) question is a survey question. It often includes a statement or question with a set of scales ranging from one extreme to another, with a neutral option in the middle. You can use this question to measure your respondents’ attitudes toward something or collect their feedback/opinions.
Here is an example of Rating Scale (Likert) questions. Respondents can choose an option on a scale from “Very poor” to “Very good”.
Create Rating Scale (Likert) Questions
Insert a Rating Scale (Likert) Question
A Rating Scale (Likert) question is inserted into your project as a new question slide. To insert it, do any of the following:
- In the Interactions tab > Rating Scale (Likert) .
- In the Home tab > Interactions > Rating Scale (Likert).
Then, you see a question slide like this.
A Rating Scale (Likert) question has three parts. The top text box is where to add the question title. The middle part contains answers. The third part has feedback messages and a Submit button.
Mind the following:
- Each Rating Scale (Likert) question has four answers by default. Each answer comes with a label, five scales (range from 1 to 5) and five radio buttons.
- You can remove answers or add them if you want.
- You’re free to edit the text for labels and customize scales as well as radio buttons.
Note: To change the tab order value, first select the question. Then, access the Properties pane > Interactivity > General. For next steps, see Using Tab Order.
Customize a Rating Scale (Likert) Question
To customize a Rating Scale (Likert) question, do these:
- Add answers: Select the question and click the green button (1). Then, the app adds an answer towards the bottom.
- Delete answers: Select an answer and press DELETE. Or, right-click the answer and select Delete.
- Change question layout: Select the question. Then, go to the Properties pane > Size & Properties > Group Layout. From here, you can change the Horizontal Spacing and Vertical Spacing properties for the question. Note that Rating Scale (Likert) questions have the Grid layout by default. You can’t change it to another layout.
The Group Layout feature is useful to arrange each answer of the question in any position of the slide. See Group Layout of Questions for more details.
- Resize the question: Select the whole question and drag the resizing handles or access the Properties pane > Size & Properties > Transform > type values in the Width and Height boxes. When you’re done with this, if you want to restore the original size, right-click the question and select Reset Placeholder.
- Edit labels and scales: Free to format and style answers like you do with a normal object such as adding text and changing shape.
- Customize radio buttons: Select a radio button. Then, apply the same technique as when you customize a radio button object.
Tip: After customizing the question/radio button, right-click it and select Set as Default Rating Scale (Likert) Question/Radio Button. Then, this question/radio button appears each time you insert a new Rating Scale (Likert) question/radio button.
Set Scales and Reporting
As said earlier, Rating Scale (Likert) questions are survey questions. So, they don’t have properties like points and attempts. Instead, you can set scales for them.
To set scales and reporting for a Rating Scale (Likert) question, select the question first. Then, go to the Properties pane > Interactivity > Score & Reporting. This shows you the Score & Reporting section like this.
From here, you can:
- Set scales for the question. To do this, click Rating Scale (2) and select a value from the drop-down list. There is a maximum of 10 scales for each Rating Scale (Likert) question.
- Change the default Report ID (3) to your desired one.
- Set the timeout (4) for the question.
For more details, see Defining Score and Reporting for Interactive Questions.
Add Events – Actions
Rating Scale (Likert) questions have default events and actions. But you can change them or make them more advanced as you wish.
To do that, first, select the question. Then, go to the Properties pane > Interactivity > Events – Actions. This is what you’ll see.
Basically, a Rating Scale (Likert) question has three events: On Complete, On Incomplete, and On Timeout. See Working with Events – Actions to learn more.
Add Feedback Messages
The app offers default feedback messages for this question type. However, you’re free to remove or add messages if you want. So, you can show your feedback in the right place at the right time. See Working with Feedback Messages to get more details.
Now you’ve learnt how to work with Rating Scale (Likert) questions in ActivePresenter 7. Try it today, and feel free to contact us if you need any help.