Windows and macOS are probably the two most popular operating systems nowadays. However, not all eLearning authoring software can run on both these operating systems. For example, desktop-based authoring tools such as iSpring Suite and Articulate Storyline 360 are designed to be Windows applications. They don’t have native Mac versions. If you want them to work on your Mac, you need to install Windows as an additional boot option or a virtual system nested within the macOS. However, this is quite complicated and might have an adverse effect on your computer’s battery life. So, if you are a Mac user, read on to find out the best eLearning authoring software for Mac in today’s blog post.
Depending on how they are hosted, eLearning authoring tools are classified into two types, which are desktop-based eLearning authoring tools and cloud-based eLearning authoring tools. While the first type can be installed on your computer, the latter one exists online and doesn’t require any download. We listed below the six best eLearning authoring software for Mac of both types. Let’s take a closer look at them to determine which one is the most suitable for your requirements.
|Desktop-based eLearning Tools||Cloud-based eLearning Tools|
Desktop-based eLearning Tools
ActivePresenter is one of the most favorite eLearning authoring tools in the market. The application can run on both Windows and macOS. As desktop-based eLearning authoring software, it includes all necessary features to create eLearning courses without any add-on. Once you have ActivePresenter installed on your Mac, you can make numerous eLearning project types, from the simplest to most complex ones. Including three significant functions to record screens, edit videos, and make eLearning courses, ActivePresenter allows you to create:
- instructional videos
- software simulations
- dialogue simulations with branching scenarios
- eLearning courses
- training manuals
Used for a variety of purposes, ActivePresenter can meet the requirements of different users. They can be students, teachers, educational institutions, NPOs, and businesses.
+ Create interative HTML5 content:
- Allow you to navigate between the application quickly and conveniently thanks to intuitive user interface and smart command groups.
- Allow importing PowerPoint slides; media such as images, videos, audio, YouTube, and web objects; annotations, animations, and effects.
- Export your projects to HTML5, SCORM, or xAPI packages that can be compliant with many LMSs.
Although the main function of ActivePresenter is to make eLearning courses, you can still take advantage of the recording screen and editing video functions to create your videos.
+ Make videos:
- Record screen as a full-motion video with smart capture, webcam, system audio, and audio from microphone.
- Edit video with operations including cut, delete, split, join, blur, change playback speed, change volume, and insert time. Besides, ActivePresenter supports a wide range of annotations and advanced effects such as green screen, spotlight, zoom-n-pan, closed caption, text to speech (many choices of voices from Amazon Polly, Microsoft Aruze, and Google Cloud), fade in/out, and audio noise reduction.
- Export content to popular video formats such as MP4, AVI, WMV, WebM, and MKV.
- $199 for Standard Edition
- $399 for Pro Edition
- $199 for Pro Edu Edition
- Offer Free Trial with all features enabled and no time restriction. Watermark will be added to the outputs of non-free features.
Adobe Captivate is a desktop-based eLearning authoring software available for both Windows and Mac. The application provides powerful features to produce complex interactions. Therefore, it has a steep learning curve, especially for those who are new to the application. However, when you are familiar with it, you can create engaging, mobile-ready, and interactive content in a matter of minutes. Adobe Captivate allows you to make virtual reality walkthroughs, software simulations, multi-module branched courses, and quizzes. Besides, it helps convert PowerPoint slides to interactive videos and create screencasts by recording on-screen actions and webcam simultaneously.
- Quick-start projects include ready-to-go interactive slides to create eLearning courses in no time. You can choose from hundreds of pre-made responsive slides in the assets panel and add them to your project.
- Make interactive demos and training videos with ease. Allow adding informational slides and questions to check learners’ knowledge at specific points on the video.
- Use Virtual Reality to create future-ready eLearning courses. Learners can experience near real-life scenarios by using VR headsets.
- Support exporting your project to HTML5 and all popular eLearning standards such as SCORM, AICC, and xAPI.
- $1299/perpetual license
- $33.99/monthly subscription
- $399 for Student-Teacher Edition
- Offer a 30-day free trial.
Unlike the other authoring tools on the list, Camtasia is mainly used for recording and editing videos as an aspect of eLearning courses. If you are looking for an application to make video demos, video tutorials, or training videos, Camtasia is a great choice. It allows you to record your screen, edit videos with beautiful animations and effects. So, let’s take this software into consideration if you want to add videos to your eLearning courses.
- Provide many screen recording options.
- Allow adding crisp video and audio from your webcam.
- Record and edit audio from microphone and system audio.
- Insert royal-free music and sound effects from library and media such as video, audio, or image from your computer/mobile device/cloud into your recording.
- Highlight significant points in your video with annotations, animations, and cursor effects.
- Support exporting content to SCORM packages.
- Business plans start at $249.99 per user
- Education plans begin at $169.99 per user
- Government & Non-profit plans begin at $223.99
- Offer a 30-day free trial.
Cloud-based eLearning Tools
Here comes the first cloud-based eLearning authoring tool in our list. Elucidat is considered the fastest way for employers to create digital training at scale. One strength of this cloud-based eLearning platform is that many authors can work on the same project at the same time. Thanks to that, they can respond to change faster and more efficiently. Elucidat allows the employee to access learning on any device, which helps reduce costs and increase business performance.
- Allow you to build training content beautifully thanks to a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) interface regardless of skill level. Anyone can make digital content, whether you are an expert or newbie to eLearning.
- Provide a wide variety of pre-made templates to speed up your work.
- Offer the layout design feature to create unique training courses that meet your needs.
- Support the following eLearning formats: HTML5, video, SCORM, and xAPI.
- You have to contact them for a quote since the price is not public.
- Offer a 14-day free trial.
As a cloud-based eLearning authoring tool, Gomo is available for both Windows and Mac. It is easy to use and suitable for those who are not looking for advanced customization. Gomo focuses on creating web content that can be viewed online via a website or offline via the Gomo app. This tool is designed to handle large enterprises and organizations.
- Offer intuitive features for easy course creations. For example, pre-built quizzes and screen templates for interactive pages.
- Produce responsive eLearning outputs that can work effortlessly on any device.
- Provide multi-language courses and deliver content to a global network of learners.
- Support HTML5, SCORM, xAPI formats.
- Small plans begin at $1,035 per year
- Medium plans begin at $2,940 per year
- Enterprise plans are available upon request
- Offer a 21-day free trial.
Last but not least, closing out this list is impressive isEazy. isEazy is the cloud-based authoring tool that allows you to create interactive eLearning courses without any technical know-how. A great variety of interactive resources drive you to create compelling and dynamic content to engage your learners. It’s a perfect solution for both business and education sectors that want to conduct training.
- Offer a wide selection of standard slide templates adapted to all of your needs.
- Allow multiple users to work on creating the course at the same time without any installation requirement.
- Engage your learners with compelling interactive elements such as videos, infographics, quizzes, and even games.
- Support SCORM, xAPI eLearning formats.
- Professional: $69/month
- Business: $200/month
- Enterprise: Contact for a quote
- Offer a 1-month free trial.
So, we have walked through the 6 best eLearning authoring software for Mac – 2021. Hopefully, it will help you to narrow down your shortlist. Moreover, every authoring tool has a free trial. When in doubt, try it out to find the most suitable one for your needs.