You are struggling to go beyond just text-based questions? You want to create visual questions to improve knowledge retention? If you are finding a new way to bring to learners much more fun, Hotspot questions are totally for you. This is a new question type in ActivePresenter 8 which allows learners to interact directly with images.
Basically, a hotspot question is an image-based question which can be utilized to make your courses or quizzes engaging and exciting. A hotspot question asks learners to identify one or more spots on an image as correct answers. By this way, a hotspot question allows not only checking learners knowledge but also reinforcing what they’ve learned.
A Hotspot question created in ActivePresenter 8
In the above question, learners are asked to find the position of Mars in the solar system. Therefore, this question has only one correct answer. However, with some games such as finding the differences between two pictures or finding hidden animals in a picture, they will have more than one correct answer. In ActivePresenter 8, Hotspot is the ninth question type that you can see in the Question tab:
This tutorial will show you how to create a Hotspot question through 6 stages:
- Insert a Hotspot Question
- Customize a Hotspot Question
- Set Correct Answers
- Set Score and Reporting
- Add Events – Actions
- Customize Feedback Layers
Now, let’s get started!
Insert a Hotspot Questions
To insert a Hotspot question into your project as a new question slide, perform one of the following:
- In the Questions tab > Hotspot .
- In the Home tab > Interactions > Hotspot .
After that, a new slide with a Hotspot question will appear as follows:
As you can see, a Hotspot question slide has 3 parts:
- (1) The top text box to add the question title;
- (2) The answer area allows inserting an image and adding hotspot areas;
- (3) The Submit buttonhelps learners submit their answers.
Customize a Hotspot Question
You are free to customize a Hotspot question as you wish. Here are some ways to customize it:
- Upload image: Click the image icon then, select one From File… or From Project….
- Insert hotspots: Select the answer area, then click the plus button (4) or right-click the image > Add Hotspot Area. After that, select either Oval or Rectangle and apply it to a specific spot you want. You can add many hotspots for one image.
- Resize hotspots: Select a hotspot and drag the anchor points. Otherwise, open the Properties pane > Size & Properties > Transform >adjust or type values in the Width and Height boxes.
- Change hotspot color, opacity & radius: Click on the answer area then open its Properties pane > Style & Effects > Hotspot > select one from the Color drop-down list, drag the slider or enter values in the Opacity and Radius spin boxes.
- Delete hotspots: Select one or more hotspots and press DELETE on the keyboard. Alternatively, right-click one hotspot and choose Delete.
- Resize the question: Select the answer area and drag the resizing handles. Otherwise, open the Properties pane > Size & Properties > Transform > adjust or type values in the Width and Height boxes.
Note: In the Properties pane of the question > Interactivity > General > the Multiple Response check box is selected defaultly. This means learners can give many answers by clicking many spots on an image. Besides, each click they made is considered as an answer. In case you want the last click is accepted as your answers, deselect this check box.
Tip: After customizing a question and its hotpots, right-click it and select Set as Default Hotspot Question or Set as Default Hotspot if you want to reuse. That way, this question or its hotspots will appear each time you insert a new Hotspot question or a hotspot. Alternatively, you can customize your hotspot question by using Object Settings view to use it later on.
Set Correct Answers
By default, a hotspot that you insert into the image is set as a correct answer. Nevertheless, you can change it into an incorrect answer. To get it done, go to the Properties pane > Interactivity > General > deselect the Correct check box.
Set Score & Reporting
Initially, to set scores and reporting for a Hotspot question, select the answer area. Next, go to the Properties pane > Interactivity > Score & Reporting.
As you can see, this section provides you a lot of useful options to:
- (5) measure learners performance (select the Graded mode) or collect learners feedback or information (select the Survey mode);
- (6) track learners results;
- (7) set points for correct answers;
- (8) set the maximum attempts that learners can interact with the question;
- (9) set a time limit which only allows learners to respond to the question in the given period of time.
For more details, see How to Create Interactive Quizzes in ActivePresenter 8.
Add Events – Actions
Basically, a Hotspot question has default events and actions. Particularly, in the Graded mode, a Hotspot question has four events: On Correct, On Incorrect, On Incomplete, and On Time Out. However, in the Survey mode, it just has three events: On Complete, On Incomplete, On Timeout. Here is what you’ll see if you’ve selected the Graded mode:
Despite default events and actions, ActivePresenter allows you to change them, delete them or even make them more advanced as you wish. To do that, click on the answer area. Then, go to the Properties pane > Interactivity > Events – Actions. Refer to Work with Events – Actions in ActivePresenter 8 for details.
Customize Feedback Layers
By default, ActivePresenter automatically adds feedback layers that correspond to the events and actions differentiating from Graded mode and Survey mode. You are free to customize these feedback layers or add more layers as you wish by navigating to the View tab > Feedback Master. For full details, take a look at Use Feedback Layers in ActivePresenter 8.
Visit the following links if you want to know more about other question types in ActivePresenter: