Sequence questions are also known as “ranking” or “ordering” questions. This question type is really useful when you want to test learners on a procedure or a process.
Normally, a Sequence question contains a list of items presented to learners in the incorrect order. It requires learners to place these items in the right order, following some specific rules. To respond to this question, learners need to perform drag-n-drop actions to re-arrange the order of items. All items must be in their proper order to be graded as correct.
In ActivePresenter 8, Sequence is the seventh question type that you can see in the Questions tab:
This tutorial will show you how to create a Sequence question through 6 stages:
- Insert a Sequence Question
- Customize a Sequence Question
- Set Correct Answer
- Set Score and Reporting
- Add Events – Actions
- Customize Feedback Layers
Let’s start right now!
Insert a Sequence Question
To insert a Sequence question, do either of the following:
- In the Questions tab > Sequence
- In the Home tab > Interactions > Sequence
Then, you will see a new question slide inserted into your project as in the below image:
As you can see, a Sequence question slide has three parts:
- (1) the top text box to add the question title;
- (2) the answer area with five default answer labels;
- (3) and the Submit button.
Customize a Sequence Question
You can customize a Sequence question as follows:
- Change the container layout: Selec the answer area, then in Properties pane > Size & Properties tab > Container Layout > select one of three options: None, Flex, or Grid.
See Container Layouts of Questions for more details.
- Resize the question title (1) and the answer area (2): You can resize these sections by selecting them and dragging the resizing handles. Or, select them, then in the Properties pane > Size & Properties tab > Transform > adjust or type the value in the Width and Height combo box:
- Insert more answer labels: Simply select the answer area (2) and click the plus button:
- Delete answer labels: Select one or more answer labels and press DELETE on your keyboard. Alternatively, right-click one answer label and select Delete.
- Edit answer labels: Freely format the answer labels by selecting the answer area then opening the Format tab. Here, you can change their style by selecting one from the Quick Styles section. Or, you can use tools in the Style Tools tab to customize them as you wish.
- Edit/ Add text to answer labels: You’re free to add or edit the text to each answer label. To do that, click the default text, then enter your own text.
- Add images to answer labels: Click any answer label. Then, in the Properties pane > Style & Effects tab > Fill > Image Fill. Click Select a background image from project (4) or Import a background image from your computer (5). If you want to remove it, simply click Remove the background image (6).
Tip: After customizing the question, right-click the answer area and select Set as Default Sequence Question if you want to reuse it. By doing this way, the next time when you insert a new Sequence question, this default question will appear.
Set Correct Answer for Sequence Questions
To set the correct answer for a Sequence question, just drag and drop answer labels in the correct order.
In the output, answer labels are mixed up randomly each time learners take the question.
Set Score and Reporting
To set score and reporting for a Sequence question, select the answer area of the question. Then, go to the Properties pane > Interactivity tab > Score & Reporting.
This section provides a lot of useful options to:
- (7) measure learners performance (select the Graded mode) or collect learners feedback or information (select the Survey mode);
- (8) track learners results;
- (9) set points for correct answers;
- (10) set the maximum attempts that learners can interact with the question;
- (11) set a time limit which only allows learners to respond to the question in the given period of time.
Note: As you can see, the Shuffle Answers property is faded so you cannot interact with as you do with other question types like True/ False, Multiple Choice, or Multiple Response. The reason is that the answer labels of Sequence questions are automatically mixed up when it is presented to learners.
For more details, see How to Create Interactive Quizzes in ActivePresenter 8.
Add Events and Actions
ActivePresenter offers default events and actions for Sequence questions. Generally, a Sequence question has four default events for the Graded mode (On Correct, On Incorrect, On Incomplete, and On Timeout) and three for the Survey mode (On Complete, On Incomplete, and On Timeout).
If you’ve selected the Graded mode, here what you’ll see:
You can remove, change, or make events and actions for Sequence questions more advanced as you wish. To do that, first, select the answer area. Then, access the Properties pane > Interactivity tab > Events – Actions.
See Work with Events – Actions to learn more.
Customize Feedback Layers
ActivePresenter automatically adds default feedback layers for Sequence questions. These default feedback layers can be Correct Feedback, Incorrect Feedback, Try Again Feedback, Incomplete Feedback, and Timeout Feedback (for the Graded mode) or Complete Feedback, Incomplete Feedback, and Timeout Feedback (for the Survey mode). Bear in mind that you can delete, change, or add more if necessary.
See Use Feedback Layers to get more details.
Now, you’ve learnt how to use Sequence questions in ActivePresenter 8. Download the app right now and start creating fun interactive quizzes.
Visit the following links if you want to know more about how to work with other types of questions in ActivePresenter: